Friday, April 27, 2012

Review: Wicked Appetite


Wicked Appetite
Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This is an update to an earlier review, which follows. I'm actually using my writing time today to add some new thoughts now that I've done a re-read. I originally snagged this book back up from my bookshelf for a refresher course before Wicked Business is released in June. Since finishing it, again, I've also purchased the audiobook.

Upon delving back into the world of Diesel, the Unmentionables, and Wolf I've got to say that I truly missed Evanovich's ability to conjure hilarious plots up, throw in made up words and languages, and end up with something brilliant! Thanks to this book I now have a favorite new insult, fart foreskin!!

Now I want to address all of the naysayers out there who have left scathing reviews of this book. Yes, Lizzy is similar to Stephanie Plum. Hello? This is a spin-off of the Stephanie Plum novels. Diesel was attracted to Stephanie Plum; hence, it stands to reason that it would be the same type of woman who would draw him in his own series. Moreover, I am absolutely sick and tired of seeing authors berated for writing in their style, instead of catering to every reader's every whim. Seriously? If you don't like a book...fine. Put it down, don't read it, and (by all means) feel FREE to say you didn't like it. To attack an author, however, for not doing what YOU think he or she should in said review shows the poorest of taste. The thing is, dear readers, that the author is writing THEIR story. It belongs to them. They are CHOOSING to share it with you. So get over yourselves and realize that this does not entitle you to tell them how to write. Your job, as a reader, is to read the story as it is presented and either like or dislike it. I've seen enough author bashing lately to last me a lifetime.

Now that my rant is over I'll close. As I said above, my original review (brief though it is) is below. I am very much looking forward to the new book being released. In the meantime I'll probably give this another go, just for kicks and giggles, and listen to the audiobook with my husband on our upcoming road trip. I think he and Carl have A LOT in common ;)

_____________________________________________________________________

I really, really enjoyed this book! It's trademark Evanovich...plenty of laughs and appearances by favorite characters. This has all the makings of another "must read" series!



View all my reviews

No comments: