Monday, December 14, 2009

Anyone else TOTALLY overwhelmed with projects?


I know I am. I've got so much to do that I've developed an attention problem. I can no longer even decide what to start on! *bites nails*

So, in typical fashion, my muse chose this particular point and time in my life to start. I needed a quick project for a gift, though, so I guess I can't complain. It coincides nicely with The Leaky Cauldron's latest Craft-Along, as well! (Shameless plug, but come join us in making Last Minute HP Gifts!)

Okay, enough rambling, I've got CRAFTING to do! I now present to you my latest free pattern, Hatchlings. You can download the PDF on Ravelry, but I'll post the pattern below, too. I crocheted the set of 3 of these cute little buggers in less than 2 hours, and that was WITH working out the kinks, so what're you waiting on? Get those projects done!!

Hatchlings
© 2009 by Jenn Bragg

Every young owl dreams of the day that they can do one of two things…find a young witch or wizard to love or carry letters from the Hogsmeade Owl Post Office. Full of the hopes and dreams that only youth can provide they’re as cute as a button, to boot!

Supplies
A small amount of worsted weight yarn in the color of your choice.
A small amount of white worsted weight yarn.
Fiberfill
Black embroidery floss
A small yellow or orange felt triangle.
2 small buttons.
G/6 (4.25 mm) hook
Yarn needle
Embroidery needle

Body
8 sc in a magic ring, or ch 2, 8 sc in 2nd ch from hook. (8 sc)
(2 sc in each st) around. (16 sc)
(1 sc in st, 2 sc in next st) around. (24 sc)
(1 sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st) around. (32 sc)
(sc2tog, 1 sc in next 2 sts) around. (24 sc)
(sc2 tog, 1 sc in next sc) around. (16 sc)
(sc 2 tog) around. (8 sc)
Sl to to first sc2tog.
Break yarn, leaving a long tail.
Stuff the body tightly.
Weave the yarn tail through the 8 sts and pull tight to close the hole.

Wings (make 2)
Ch 5.
Sc in 2nd ch and in each ch across. (4 sc)
Sc in each st across, ch 1, turn. (4 sc)
Skip 1st st, sc in the next 3 sts, ch 1, turn. (3 sc)
Sc in 1st st, skip next st, sc in last st, ch 1, turn. (2 sc)
Skip 1st st, sc in last st. (1 sc)
Finish off.
Break yarn.
Weave in ends.

Eyes (make 2)
With white yarn work 6 sc in a magic ring, or ch 2, 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook.
Sl st into 1st st.
Break yarn, leaving a long tail for wewing.

Assembly
Attach buttons to eye pieces with black embroidery floss.

Sew wings onto the body at a slight angle, to resemble wings at rest.

Use black embroidery floss and a simple blanket stitch to attach the beak to the body.

Sew the eyes onto the body over top of the beak.

Weave in all ends.