Saturday, March 19, 2011

A sweet surprise...

Volunteering at the library yesterday was tough. Thanks to my Spring Fever and Garden Glee my allergies have had me in a right state. My eyes were so itchy Friday morning, and my nose so runny, that I couldn't even wear eye makeup! I have a slight (read: EXTREME) eyeliner addiction, so leaving the house without "putting on my eyes" is a huge deal for me.

Moving right along....I was there, plowing through but feeling out of sorts. I was weeding the Juvenile Non-fiction section to get rid of outdated material and make room for new books. I happened to glance up and noticed a frequent patron coming in carrying a GORGEOUS Peace Lily in her arms. Once she got in the door she came to the desk where the librarian gave her a couple of books we had set aside for her to pick up. Then she turned around, looked at me, and told me that the plant was for ME! It turns out that she delivers for the local floral shop and that my hubby had ordered it to have delivered to me as a surprise. The best part? It's not our anniversary, AND he did nothing bad!

Now, I know that most of you are scratching your head wondering what on earth I'm so over-the-top excited about...I mean it's a plant, right? You see, I don't like getting flowers. At all. The thought of cutting something growing so beautifully and shoving it in a vase just to watch it die almost breaks my heart. Weird, I admit, but that's me! At the same time my favorite flower on earth is a white Calla Lily. I planted some bulbs several years ago, but the acidity in my soil turned the white Calla Lilies pink. My hubby called the floral shop to see how to get white Calla Lilies, and found out that they're only available through special order. When he asked about a close substitute they suggested the Peace Lily, and I couldn't be happier! It's close to my beloved Calla Lily and, as long as I don't forget to water it, I'll get to keep it for years to come. I feel so special!

No comments: