I'm a little bored of posting my food journal here every day. I mean, it's kind of redundant, as I also post it daily on Fitting It In. By the way, if you're on a health journey like me and aren't on Fitting It In, yet get on the ball! It's a wonderful place filled with motivation and nudges.
So, I was making lunch today and was reheating some of last night's leftover turkey tacos to nosh on. As I was sprinkling liberal amounts of cilantro on top of them I found myself wondering just what, if anything, cilantro could do for a body. Just what were the health benefits of this tasty herb? A little internet searching unearthed a mountain of information, and let me tell you, this little herb packs a punch!
According to healthdiaries.com, cilantro has been shown to do the following:
- Protect against the Salmonella bacteria
- Reportedly works as a natural chelation treatment (this is heavy metal detox - I had to look it up, as well!)
- Aids in digestion and helps settle the stomach and prevent flatulence
- Is an anti-inflammatory that may alleviate symptoms of arthritis
- Protects against urinary tract infections
- Prevents nausea
- Relieves intestinal gas
- Lowers blood sugar
- Lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and raises good cholesteraol (HDL)
- A good source of dietary fiber
- A good source of iron
- A good source of magnesium
- Rich in phytonutrients and flavonoids