Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Review: Shakespeare's Champion


Shakespeare's Champion
Shakespeare's Champion by Charlaine Harris

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Shakespeare's Champion is a decent follow-up to Ms. Harris' first book in the series, Shakespeare's Landlord. Lily is a trouble-magnet, as usual...as well as a guy magnet. Apparently the poor woman just can't help it!

I enjoy the quickness of this series. A reader can get the books them fast, as there isn't a ton of back story to drag them out. Rather, the story is written much like Lily's character...blunt and straight forward. There is a ton of action, and a fair amount of realistic romance. No fluff at all.

My only real problem with this book is with Lily, herself. There comes a point and time where it's prudent to quit wallowing and using your inner pain as an excuse to be rude to everyone. Quit pushing everyone away. Sure I can still see that Lily is healing, but I also can't help but feel that until she forces herself to open up more to the world around her the healing that needs to take place won't be able to find a foot hold. I was also very upset with the immature way she ended things with Marshall. Of course, I was just as upset with Marshall for his treatment of Lily. Calling her "cold" every time she didn't react the way he thought appropriate was just plain ol' mean-spirited! As I finished the story I found myself hoping that Jack, the new love interest, is the one who can make Lily feel again.

I'm moving on to the third book now, Shakespeare's Christmas, in the hopes that I'll see some headway in Lily's emotional capactiy!



View all my reviews

No comments: