Monday, January 7, 2013

Review: Shakespeare's Landlord


Shakespeare's Landlord
Shakespeare's Landlord by Charlaine Harris

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I didn't want to like this book. I mean, come ON! The last thing I need is another series to keep up with, right? It seems like any book I pick up recently is part of one, and I just know that some of them that I meant to continue with are falling through the cracks of my mind. At first I was right on track to not like Ms. Harris' heroine for this story. She seemed quite abrasive. There was some allusion to a past that caused this abrasiveness; however, with no back story to fill the reader in it was easy to write Lily off as one nasty piece of work.

Then Lily is forced to tell her tale, and what a tale it is! Suddenly the reader can see her without the author's filter. Suddenly the reader understands just where Lily's attitude comes from. The times, they are a changin' for our dear heroine in this story, and Ms. Harris does an exemplary job at jumping Lily over the hurdles of her return to real life at a very realistic pace. Add into this a mix of murder, vicious attacks, and a cast of suspicious characters and the reader is given a very thick and juicy plot to gnaw on to their heart's content.

The book concludes nicely and, other than the obligatory love triangle, could be a stand alone piece. This particular reader, however, is now officially hooked on another series and is already a third of the way through Shakespeare's Champion, the second book in the series.



View all my reviews

No comments: